Deep-fried olives wrapped in succulent lamb and stuffed with the intense flavour of anchovies. The crispiness of the golden exterior gives way to the tender lamb, while the hidden anchovy surprise adds a burst of umami. The olives contribute a rich, briny undertone. Deep fried olives seem to be flavour of the month at the moment, and this is my take!
This makes 4 deep fried olives, enough for two people as a starter - it may sound like a small amount but once the olive is wrapped, each one is about egg sized
- 200g minced lamb meat, ideally nice and fatty!
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 Large, pitted Gordal green olives
- 4 small anchovies
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat deep fryer to 180c
- Chill the minced lamb for an hour in the fridge before working with it
- Mix the rosemary and salt thoroughly, with the minced lamb, for about a minute
- Dry the olives off and Insert an anchovy into each pitted olive
- Lay the lamb mixture between two sheets of cling film and roll with a rolling pin until you achieve a uniform layer of meat about 4 - 5 mm thick
- Wrap each stuffed olive in a layer of lamb
- Dredge the meat wrapped olive in flour, then the beaten egg, then the panko breadcrumbs
- Deep fry for 3 mins each
How to eat it?
A nice light red wine