This seems a bit bonkers, but makes a really lovely "mini fish and chips". If you get the batter right, they puff up to make little round clam poppers!
I use a 1 L compact deep fryer, as it takes up little room, uses less oil and is easy to clean - Here's an amazon link to one that will do the job: Amazon link for compact fryer
- 50g plain flower
- 50g corn flower
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 125ml lager
- 1kg fresh clams
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 230ml white wine
- 1 L of oil for frying (depending on your fryer size or if you are using a pan)
- Clean and drain the clams
- Fry the onions in a little oil, on a low heat, with a lid on, until translucent (around 5 mins)
- Add the garlic and fry for another minute
- Add the wine and bring to a boil
- Add all the clams and put the lid on
- Cook for 5 mins or until you can see they have all pretty much opened
- Drain, discard any clams that have not opened and pick out the meat from all the clams and drain on kitchen roll
- Mix together the plain flour, corn flour, baking powder and lager, whisk to make a consistent batter
- Bring the oil up to 180c in a pan or deep fryer
- Dip the clams into the batter and fry in batches of 5 for about 2 - 3 mins, until golden
- Keep them warm in the oven if necessary, whilst frying the rest.
- When ready, toss in vinegar and sea salt flakes
How to eat it?
Best to be enjoyed with the rest of the lager you just opened....