This sausage is so wrong, it’s right. If you like Hawaiian pizza, this is the sausage for you. It’s essentially the pizza that polarises opinion, stuffed into a sausage and smoked. Turns out that two wrongs do make a right. It’s smokey, meaty, with a slight sweetness from the pineapple, and some oozy cheese.
Please take a look at how-to-make-sausages, how-to-cook-sausages and the-science-of-great-sausages. These guides will apply to all the sausage recipes on this site and will provide you with a great primer!
- 400g pork shoulder, diced
- 100g pork fat, diced
- 100g smoked back bacon, diced
- 9g salt
- 80g edam cheese, diced into 5mm cubes
- 80g diced tinned pineapple
- 5g non fat milk powder
- 1.5g Curing salt #1
- 5g black pepper
- Place the fat in the freezer two hour ahead of time, the bacon and pork shoulder as well as the diced cheese an hour ahead of time
- Soak about 1 meters of hog casings in warm water
- Cool the metal parts of your grinder and stuffer before use, if possible
- Remove the diced pork shoulder, cheese and bacon from the freezer when its got a frozen crust to it
- Grind all of the meat and the fat into a bowl. Keep the bowl chilled whilst you prepare the spices
- Mix all the spice mix ingredients, including the cure #1 together in a bowl.
- Add all of the ingredients, to the ground meat, and mix thoroughly, then chill in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Stuff the mixture into the hog casing, twisting off 6 inch sausages
- Hot smoke these sausages until the internal temperature reaches 65c
How to eat it?
July 14, 2021