Fennel and Pistachio snack stick salami A strongly flavoured snack stick, ready in 10 days and generally devoured in an under an hour
- 600g g Pork shoulder diced
- 120 g Pork fat diced and frozen
- 20 g Salt
- 1 g Bessastart culture
- 5 ml Distilled water
- 2 meters lamb casings soaked
- 1.8 g Nitrites
- 2 g Pepper ground
- 20 g Pistachio roughly ground
- 2 g Anise seeds ground
- 2.5 g Fennel toasted and crushed
- 3 g Garlic minced
- 2.5 g Dextrose
- Soak the lamb casings for at least an hour and run some water through to clean thoroughly.
- Add the Bessastart to the distilled water at room temperature and leave for 30 mins
- Chill your grinder in the fridge, along with the diced pork shoulder.
- Put the fat in the freezer.
- Assemble your grinder, and when the fat is frozen, roughly dice it and put through a course grind along with the diced pork shoulder
- Add all of the ingredients above, along with the Bactoferm in the distilled water, to the ground shoulder and fat. Mix thoroughly
- Add to stuffer and churn out a number of 8 inch lengths
- To start the fermentation, add to your drying chamber at 95RH and 23c for 48 hours
- Then switch to 75RH at 12c for the rest of the process, until the sausage has lost 35% of its weight. This should take around 8 – 10 days!