Coppa, or Capocollo, is an Italian Salami, made from the muscle running from the neck of the pig to the ribs, it’s name being a compound of the words capo ("head") and collo ("neck"). It’s seasoning will differ slightly from region to region, but regardless of the seasoning, its extremely easy to make at home and well worth the wait!
- 800 g coppa neck muscle
- 28 g salt
- 0.8 g cloves, crushed
- 0.6 g cinnamon powder
- 3 g fennel seed, crushed
- 2 meters ox bung
- 2 g Cure No 2
- Mix all of the spiced together and rub into the coppa neck muscle.
- Seal in a ziplock back and store in the fridge, turning it over daily, for 14 days
- Remove the coppa and pat dry
- Soak the ox bung casings for at least 4 hours or overnight and run some water through to clean thoroughly.
- Insert the coppa into the ox bung and tie off at each end
- Pull some butches meat netting over the top ,
- Weight it and note it down!
- Hang at around 75RH and 12 - 15 c until it has lost 35% of its weight. This should take around 6 - 8 weeks!
How to eat it?
July 14, 2021
in theHome curing