A home cured, sweet and smokey bacon recipe that’s simple to make, easy to slice and freeze for later use, and unbelievably good in bacon sandwiches. Slice thickly for maximum decadence.
The recipe does require a smoker, but i’ll shortly publish recipes that don’t!
- 950 g pork belly
- 45 g salt
- 120 ml maple syrup
- 1 tsp black pepper, ground
- 2.3 g Cure No 1
- Mix all the cure ingredients together and put in a zip lock freezer bag
- Add the pork belly to the bag and make sure it is covered in the cure all over
- Leave this in the fridge for 7 days, turning it over every day (this is important)
- After 7 days take the belly out of the bag and rinse it and pat dry
- Leave the belly in the fridge on a plate overnight
- Preheat the smoker and slowly smoke the belly (i use oak chips) until it reaches an internal temperature of 68c
- Allow to cool and then chill and slice
- Slices can be cooked or vac sealed and frozen for later use!