Salty and rich in umami flavour, cured egg yolks taste fabulous grated over pasta and soups. They will last in your fridge in an airtight container for up to a month. Like all curing, this recipe relies on the surrounding salt cure extracting water through osmosis.
- 2 egg yolks
- salt to completely cover the egg yolks
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites
- Add a layer of salt at least 1/2 cm thick to a plastic container
- Create an indentation for each egg yolk with the back of a spoon
- Delicately place each egg yolk in its indentation and cover with salt, again at least 1/2 cm thick
- Leave in the fridge for 7 days.
- After 7 days, dust as much salt as you can, off the now solid egg yolks
- Wrapped lightly in cheese cloth and hang in the back of the fridge (or a curing chamber if you have one!) for 4 more days.
- Unwrap, dust any remaining salt off and store in an airtight container in the fridge for use
- Grate over pasta, salads or soups!
How to eat it?
Grated salt cured egg yolks taste fabulous grated over pasta, soups and salads!
July 14, 2021
in theHome curing