It sounds strange, but the nutty flavour imparted by peanut butter powder goes amazingly well with bacon! You can smoke this as well, but i find that the subtlety of the peanut flavour is lost. It’s easy to find peanut butter powder on Amazon, link here, or in Holland and Barrett, link here.
- 850 g pork belly
- 27 g salt
- 50 g brown sugar
- 65 g peanut butter powder
- 20 g black pepper, ground
- 2.12 g cure # 1
- Mix all the cure ingredients together and put in a zip lock freezer bag
- Add the pork belly to the bag and make sure it is covered in the cure all over
- Leave this in the fridge for 7 days, turning it over every day (this is important)
- After 7 days take the belly out of the bag and rinse it and pat dry
- Leave the belly in the fridge on a plate overnight
- At this point you can hot smoke if you like (Preheat the smoker and slowly smoke the belly with hickory wood / chips until it reaches an internal temperature of 68c)
- Otherwise hang at 75RH at 6c for a week and then slice
- Slices can be cooked or vac sealed and frozen for later use!
How to eat it?
July 14, 2021
in theHome curing