A summer sausage in my humble opinion, delicious chicken thigh and sweet roasted garlic, delicately smoked to just the right temperature. This will take a few hours but it’s worth it. Try smoking with apple wood to keep the smokey flavour as light as possible.
Please take a look at how-to-make-sausages, how-to-cook-sausages and the-science-of-great-sausages. These guides will apply to all the sausage recipes on this site and will provide you with a great primer!
- 700g diced skinless chicken thigh meat
- 200g diced pork shoulder
- 100g pork fat, diced
- 10g fresh thyme leaves
- 30g roasted garlic
- 5g pepper, ground
- 2.5g Curing salt #1
- 1 meter hog casings
- Prepare roasted garlic ahead of time
- Place the fat in the freezer two hour ahead of time, the chicken and pork an hour ahead of time
- Soak about 1 meters of hog casings in warm water
- Cool the metal parts of your grinder and stuffer before use, if possible
- Remove the diced pork and chicken from the freezer when its got a frozen crust to it
- Grind all of the meat and the fat into a bowl. Keep the bowl chilled whilst you prepare the spices
- Mix all the spice mix ingredients, including the cure #1 together in a bowl.
- Add all of the ingredients, to the ground meat, and mix thoroughly, then chill in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Stuff the mixture into the hog casing, twisting off 6 inch sausages
- Hot smoke these sausages until the internal temperature reaches 74c
How to eat it?
July 14, 2021