A smokey, fiery snack stick made with Calabrian chillies. These chilli peppers originate from the Calabrian region of Italy. The chilli is small but has a huge amount of flavour. Predominantly spicy, there is also a salty, smoky and even fruity taste to these delicious peppers.
- 500 g Pork shoulder diced
- 100 g Pork fat diced and frozen
- 14 g Salt
- 2 g Bessastart culture
- 5 ml Distilled water
- 2 meters lamb casings soaked
- 1.5 g cure #1
- 2 g Pepper ground
- 2.5 g Dextrose
- 2 g smoked, spicy paprika
- 40 g Calabrian chillies, in oil, finely chopped, seeds included
- Soak the lamb casings for at least an hour and run some water through to clean thoroughly.
- Add the Bessastart to the distilled water at room temperature and leave for 30 mins
- Chill your grinder in the fridge, along with the diced pork shoulder.
- Put the fat in the freezer.
- Assemble your grinder, and when the fat is frozen, roughly dice it and put through a course grind along with the diced pork shoulder
- Add all of the ingredients above, along with the Bessastart in the distilled water, to the ground shoulder and fat. Mix thoroughly
- Add to stuffer and churn out a number of 8 inch lengths
- To start the fermentation, add to your drying chamber at 95RH and 23c for 48 hours
- Then switch to 75RH at 12c for the rest of the process, until the sausage has lost 35% of its weight. This should take around 8 – 10 days!
How to eat it?
July 14, 2021
in theHome curing